The USL season is still quite young, but 110 players have already combined to earn a total of 131 yellow cards and 6 red cards. It’s obviously not too soon to start worrying about key players receiving suspensions for their naughty behavior. You don’t have time to keep track of all of the cautions and ejections for yourself? Don’t worry Scratching the Pitch has done all the heavy lifting for you.
USL Guidelines for Suspension Due to Card Accumulation
- 1 ejection results in a 1-match suspension
- 5 cautions result in a 1-match suspension
- 8 cautions result in a 2-match suspension
- 11 cautions result in a 3-match suspension
When a player receives two cautions in a single match, the player will serve a single game suspension for the ejection, but the cautions will not count toward the accumulation of cautions.
All suspensions are to be served beginning with the club’s next match after the caution or ejection was issued the player. This is a slight departure from rules in prior seasons in which a 7-day grace period was allowed for the accumulation of cautions.
The following is a list of players who have received or are in danger of receiving a suspension from racking up yellow cards. Number of accumulated cautions in parentheses.
- Danny Earls (3) – Pittsburgh Riverhounds
Here are the players that have been issued a suspension for earning a red card.
- Ethen Sampson – Vancouver Whitecaps FC 2 – Ejected from match against Orange County Blues FC on 12 Apr 15. Will be suspended for match against Sacramento Republic FC on Wednesday, April 15.
- Santiago Castano – New York Red Bulls II – Ejected from match against Wilmington Hammerheads FC on 12 Apr 15. Will be suspended for match against Charleston Battery on Saturday, April 18.
- Franck Zoue – FC Montreal – Ejected from match against Rochester Rhinos on 11 Apr 15. Will be suspended for match against Harrisburg City Islanders on Saturday, April 18.
- Rennico Clarke – Portland Timbers 2 – Ejected from match against Real Monarchs SLC on 8 Apr 15. Suspension served.
- Jordan Burt – Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC – Ejected from match against OKC Energy FC on 4 Apr 15. Suspension served.
- Lucas Baldin – Real Monarchs SLC – Ejected from match against Portland Timbers 2 on 29 Mar 15. Suspension served.